Search within Lanny's blog:


Leave me comments so I know people are actually reading my blogs! Thanks!

Sunday, December 02, 2012

10 Famous Thought Experiments That Just Boggle Your Mind Part 6

Read Part 5: The Ship of Theseus

5. Galileo's Gravity Experiment

In order to refute Aristotle’s claim that the speed of a falling object is dictated by its mass, Galileo devised a simple thought experiment:

According to Aristotelian logic, if a light object and a heavy object were tied together and dropped off a tower, then the heavier object would fall faster, and the rope between the two would become taut. This would allow the lighter object to create drag and slow the heavy one down. But Galileo reasoned that once this occurs, the weight of the two objects together should be heavier than the weight of either one by itself, therefore making the system as a whole fall faster. This contradiction proved that Aristotle’s hypothesis was wrong.

One of the most famous stories about Galileo is that he once dropped two metal balls off the Leaning Tower of Pisa to prove that heavier objects do not fall faster than lighter ones. In actuality, this story is probably just a legend. However an astronaut did perform this famous Galileo test with a hammer and a feather in vacuum with low gravity on the surface of the moon (see video below).



So what can I learn from this thought experiment? As a Computer Science researcher, many times it is easier for me to just sit down and code up experiments. But sometimes it might be a good idea to stand up and then write down the math formulations on the whiteboard. Simplifying the math calculations or jog down some proofs can actually dramatically reduce the amount of coding I have to do and also improve the performance of my algorithms. Of course, if I could do all these in my head it would be wonderful, but I am no Galileo, and I also have severe short-term memory deficit -- a strong sign and that I am almost ready to graduate!

Read part 7: Monkeys and Typewriters



Video of the Day:

Air Swimmers -- a fun "robot" toy for parties! You can get them here.


BTW: The easiest way to remember my blog address is http://lanny.lannyland.com

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:38 PM

    I rarely leave remarks, but i did a few searching and wound up here "10 Famous Thought Experiments That Just Boggle Your Mind Part 6".

    And I do have some questions for you if you do not mind.
    Could it be just me or does it look as if like a few of these remarks come across
    like they are written by brain dead visitors?
    :-P And, if you are posting at additional social sites, I would like to follow
    everything fresh you have to post. Could you list
    of all of all your communal pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or
    linkedin profile?
    Feel free to visit my blog ; Marc Primo Pulisci

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made my mind explode

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:48 PM

    I can't see the video so Idk whats going on but we did learn about Galileo in Euro earlier this week.

    ReplyDelete