First let me quickly summarize what I have been doing for the last three years and 8 months:
- The first year or so was eventful and also a year of harvest. During this year:
- I turned 40.
- I also had two surgeries (never had surgeries before, correlation or causation?).
- I received two Black Belts, one in Taekwondo, and one in Hapkido.
- I successfully defended my thesis and officially became Permanently Head Damaged! It is worth mentioning that I actually completed and got my dissertation approved on New Years Eve inside a hotel right next to Disneyland. Then as a celebration, I took my kids to Disneyland that night and enjoyed the new year count down party and watched the new year fireworks show.
- I found a job I love after many rounds of traveling and interviews.
- I bought a bigger house and moved in.
- Then the next three years or so, I focused on building two "intelligent" entities:
- Sky, the intelligent smart home assistant for my work, and
- Philip, my dumb personal home butler. Philip is really just my house, and also has a second name Jane. The name Philip came from a great Chinese Sci-Fi/Wuxia novel by Maoni, which I am also translating from Chinese into English. The name Jane came from Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game Series.
And because I was so busy with life and the above, I didn't really
- Translate, or
- Blog, or
- Sleep much.
- I will try to sleep more and have better sleep quality. This is my top priority.
- I'd like to get back into routine translating. After all, it is another one of my life goal: to win (kind of) the Nebula Award with my translation.
- I'd like to blog more. Blog about technology, AI, machine learning, robots, etc. In the past I tried to write too much and keep the bar high for each blog. This time I am going to just go with the flow. Hopefully a short summary of my thoughts on things I read can still be good reading resources for others and inspire them to be creative. If you haven't noticed, Lannyland is the land of imagination and creativity.
- I'd like to read more on latest advancements on AI and machine learning. Hopefully this also results in more blogging.
- I'd like to also get back into routine exercising. I am a black belt! I should stay a black belt!
- I'd like to also find some time to play the piano once a while.
It's never too late to follow your passion and love.