Search within Lanny's blog:


Leave me comments so I know people are actually reading my blogs! Thanks!

Monday, July 06, 2020

Daily Battles: How to prevent your Windows 10 computer from disconnecting WiFi

Have you noticed that your Windows 10 computer keeps disconnecting from WiFi? So whenever you want to use your computer, you have to manually connect it back to your home WiFi network?

I had this problem with one of Philip's many physical existences. (Philip is my Smart Home Assistant that consists of a bunch of microservices running on a bunch of low-grade throwaway computers.) It was a laptop with a cracked screen (wife dropped it).

This gets a bit annoying because every time I want Philip to print something, I have to manually connect the computer to home WiFi. So I did a bit of research and found the solution.

Turned out Windows 10 automatically puts the WiFi network card in power-saving mode, which then disconnects it from my home WiFi, even though I leave the computer plugged in all the time.

So here's how you can resolve the problem:
  1. First right-click on your WiFi icon in the taskbar at the bottom right corner of your screen and select Open Network and Sharing Center.



  2. Once in Network and Sharing Center, select Change adapter settings on the left panel.



  3. In the next screen, right-click on your home WiFi network and select Properties.


  4. In the properties popup window, select the Power Management tab, and then make sure to uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. Don't forget to click OK to apply your changes.


That's it. Your computer should stay connected to your WiFi network from now on. Hope this helps!

Picture of the Day:

Google AdSense sent me a violation report. Turned out my web page can not mention the word "Weapon." So what am I going to do with a web page showing my translation of the famous Chinese Martial Arts novel named "Seven Weapons" by Gu Long? These are swords, sabers, and spears. How ridiculous. What kind of world do we live in today?


BTW: The easiest way to remember my blog address is http://blog.lannyland.com

1 comment: