Search within Lanny's blog:


Leave me comments so I know people are actually reading my blogs! Thanks!

Sunday, July 21, 2019

Daily Battles: Google Hangouts Sending Messages To Yourself

Google Hangouts (used to be called Google Talk) is a free chat app provided by Google that supports WiFi calls, video conferencing in addition to the basic text messaging capabilities. It is the main way of communication between my teenage daughter and me when she is at school and I am at work, because I am a GOOD parent and held my ground firm and still refuse to give her a smart phone (which makes her kind of unique in her social groups).


Recently, whenever I send her a Google Hangout message, I would also get the notification on my phone for that message I just sent her. And this is becoming really annoying!!

Searched online but couldn't find much useful info. Then it just dawned on me. In my recent troubleshooting with Google Home setup, I had to add my daughter's Google account to my Google Home set up in order to properly grant permissions for different users. Could this be the problem?

By the way, if you don't already know, Google Home is a Google-made smart speaker/voice assistant like Amazon's Echo, which can be used to control smart home devices, translate, perform knowledge look up, play music, and used as a timer.


Upon removing my daughter's Google Account from within the Google Home app, sure enough, the notification stopped when I messaged her once gain in Google Hangouts app. Mystery solved! The underline problem is that Google Hangouts and Google Home apps both use the Android underneath Google Account(s) set up to determine what's the proper action to take. But since Google is NOTORIOUS for one project group not caring about another project group's work, end users ended up having a bad experience and had to troubleshoot by themselves.

This reminds me of the fight I had with Google Home Mini not working with Google Mesh WiFi, and the fight I had with Google Home multiple account/owner issues earlier. But those would be the contents of another Daily Battles blog post.

Happy Fighting!


Video of the Day:


This video of Kangaroos Hopping in Snow somehow 
is really bringing peace to my mind!!




BTW: The easiest way to remember my blog address is http://lanny.lannyland.com

6 comments:

  1. Google hangout still exist?
    i thought it was already closed down (or change to another name/service)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still works from both web and mobile app. Looks like it's going to be shutdown for G-suite users in October, 2019.

      Delete
  2. and you dont give your daughter a phone, so when she was at school, how do you contact her via hangouts? she brings that google home device to school?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has a Chromebook she take to school that's required as part of school work.

      Delete
    2. cool..., then your daughter will be the special one , as her friends in classroom are all using Windows laptop and Macbook ^^

      Delete
  3. Anonymous2:10 PM

    Google hangouts is very nice! But I'd still want a phone!

    ReplyDelete