Search within Lanny's blog:


Leave me comments so I know people are actually reading my blogs! Thanks!

Tuesday, July 30, 2019

The Complete Guide on Monitoring and Parental Control on a Chromebook and Disabling Incognito Mode - Part 5

[This is a 5-part series. Here are links to Part 1Part 2Part 3Part 4, and Part 5.]

Problem Statement:
Know what web sites my daughter wastes time on when she is at home with a school managed Google Suite account (because her school has monitoring of their own) without me spending too much time or spend any money on new hardware devices.

Option 4: Other Chrome Extensions

There are also Chrome extensions you can install from Chrome Web Store onto a Chromebook for additional parental control functionalities.

4.1 Off the Record Chrome History

Off the Record Chrome History is an extension you can install that will allow browsing history to be remembered while in incognito mode. However, it is more of a convenience for the user of the Chromebook for look up, because as soon as the incognito window is closed, all history are erased. This can only work for me if I catch my daughter red-handed before she closes the incognito window. But she has really fast fingers from years of piano training. So it does me no good!!


Read more about the extension here:
How to Save the Browsing History of Incognito Mode in Chrome

4.2 StayFocusd

StayFocusd is actually a fantastic tool I frequently use myself. The Chrome extension lets me set time limit on how much time I can spend on web sites where I tend to waste a lot of time on (e.g., Quora, News web sites, Slashdot, etc.). Once my time is up for the day, I can no longer visit these web sites, thus limiting the amount of time I waste every day. It also works in incognito mode if you enable it in the settings/options page of the extension. If I want to change settings such as remove web sites from the blocked list, I have to type out this long article about not wasting time perfectly without making any mistakes. If a typing mistake is made, I have to start all over on typing the article. This tool also has a predefined list of websites to block, which includes web sites such as facebook, instagram, or YouTube. There's also a Nuclear Option, once used, prevents any setting changes for a long period of time.


I also put this on my daughter's Chromebook and blocked many websites, especially social media and video sites. She does get 15 minutes each day to do her Instagram thing or watch a YouTube video.

A small drawback on this tool is that you can't set time limit per web site. However, the biggest draw back is that your kids can actually simply disable the extension and then enable it again after their Internet spree (which my daughter quickly figured out). They can also remove the extension and then add it back in again. Also, sometimes Chrome OS update would break the extension and you have to click the repair button to get it working again. The developers of the tool said that they sent requests to Google on preventing people from turning the extension off. But we all know how apt Google is on user feedback and feature requests (10+ years), so that's not going to work soon. The developers recommended adding the chrome://extensions page to the blocked web site list. Not a great solution because during the allowed time, kids can easily go in and disable the extension.

So great tool for yourself, but only useable if your kids don't know how to work with extensions, which is probably unlikely because first thing they do is to google how to disable StayFocusd.

So how many times have I being saying this: Not a solution for me!!

4.3 Mobicip

Mobicip is a popular parental control tool many people recommend. For it to work on a Chromebook, you will need to use the Mobicip Parent Control with Screen Time Chrome extension. The tool claims that it offers the following features:
  • Filter the internet & block objectionable content
  • Limit screen time 
  • Monitor browsing history & online activity
  • Use intuitive web portal or mobile app in Parent Mode, 24x7 on the go 

I did not test this tool because it is not free and you have to buy an annual plan with price ranging from $49.99 for 5 devices to $159.99 for 20 devices. Some quick research also reveals that just like the two extensions I listed above, kids can easily turn the extension off and then back on, and you would be blind for that time being.

This video below is created by Mobicip to show you how to set it up on a Chromebook. Note that the comments are all disabled, which feels shady to me. There are probably a lot of complaints in the comments and the company didn't want to show them.


Anyway, if you want to give this tool a try, go for it. But for me, this is, again, not a solution.

So to conclude on this 5-part series of parental control on Chromebook, there are really no solution that is perfect. Pick the one that works best for you. And to my super delight:

I finally found the solution that works for me!! Hooray!!

The Solution For Lanny:

This tool is free (with limited history duration and you can pay for longer period); it is by device, so I can distinguish between my son and my daughter; it allows me to check web browsing history from my computer or phone any time I want; and it also works with her school assigned G Suite email address/Google account!

Since my daughter also reads my blog (I know you are reading this, Addy. 😜), I will not reveal the tool here. If you want to know what this solution is, contact me via email.

Of course, ultimately, I am also using many of the other solutions I listed as a combined solution (DNS, router, Google Family WiFi, StayFocusd, etc., etc.).

Parenting is a tough job!! So good luck to all parents out there. And hopefully you have found something that works for you after reading my blog. Leave me comments and let me know which one worked for you! Share the success story and share the frustration!!

Video of the Day:

This is how I feel after I finally found my parental control solution!



Now onto my next daily battles!

BTW: The easiest way to remember my blog address is http://lanny.lannyland.com

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:00 PM

    This is very helpful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most used web hosting type out there today in the market is unquestionably the shared hosting. What do we know about it? We know that a Shared Web Hosting hosts multiple websites in the same location. We know that the resources are shared among the websites. But, let us take a look here at its advantages and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete