Search within Lanny's blog:


Leave me comments so I know people are actually reading my blogs! Thanks!

Monday, July 22, 2019

Daily Battles: Task Scheduler Error - The specified account name is not valid

Microsoft Windows systems have a built in utility called Task Scheduler that can be actually quite handy when you need to schedule things to run on a fixed schedule with some flexibility in conditions. It is probably used more by system admins on the Windows Server family of products to schedule maintenance work or kick off certain routine jobs.


I use Task Scheduler mainly for scheduling routine work for Philip Jane, my home-brewed Smart Home Assistant, such as reminding my kids that they are going to be late for school, or it is time to go to bed. By the way, the name Philip comes from the book The Outcast by Maoni and Jane comes from the Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card, both I highly recommend. I used to write my own scheduler, until one day I realized that I could just use this existing utility and save myself a bunch of work. So I incorporated this as part of the Philip Jane microservice ecosystem. It has been working great for many years, until this morning.

School season has just started, so I was turning some expired tasks back on, so Philip Jane can dutifully provide friendly reminders to my kids (so I don't have to). As I was saving the changes, I got an error message saying The specified account name is not valid.



Mind you that the system has been working for years and I had never ran into this problem. As an expert in Windows system (I used to make a living as a system admin), I sincerely rebooted the physical machine (one of Philip's many existences) that hosted Philip's scheduler functionalities, hoping that would resolve the problem, which it didn't. Now the research began. Sure enough, I am not the only one who suffered.

Turned out once again (and again and again and again), the culprit is a recent Windows Update. The update now requires local user name to explicitly include the server name. Even though I am not running a Windows server, the same restriction applies to all Windows 10 systems that had the latest update. So instead of using Lanny as the login name, now I have to explicitly use Philip\Lanny as the login name.


If this is what Microsoft wants, then why still default to the local user name when task scheduler prompts for a login is beyond me. But at least this allowed me to proceed.

Here's a discussion of the exact problem on TechNet, under Windows Server 2019 support. TechNet is the big knowledge repo for all Microsoft related support docs.

TechNet Discussion

But I want to go back to the real culprit again. This is a Windows 10 update forced upon me by Microsoft. And every time when I install Windows Update, I am always under the fear that something used to work will break. That is just not a great user experience. But hey, I am not the only one complaining, and I don't think complaining works when it comes to Microsoft.

For those of you that also ran into this problem, hope this blog post helps!


BTW: The easiest way to remember my blog address is http://lanny.lannyland.com

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:08 PM

    This is why you don't use windows!

    ReplyDelete