Search within Lanny's blog:


Leave me comments so I know people are actually reading my blogs! Thanks!

Tuesday, July 09, 2019

Daily Battles: Quicken Quickbooks Can't Download Credit Card Transactions from American Express

One of my involuntary jobs is to manage bookkeeping and accounting for my wife's small business. Not a fun job, to be honest. That's why I was willing to pay Intuit hundreds of dollars for the software tool called Quickbooks, because it allows me to download bank and credit card transactions directly, saving me all the hassles of entering everything manually myself. In fact, I was just coerced into paying Intuit another hundreds of dollars for an upgrade recently, because they decided to stop supporting transaction import with the 2016 version of Quickbooks Pro.



Then today, when I was going through receipts, I found out that I can't download credit card transactions from American Express website in the QBO format for Quickbooks Pro to import. The only download options are Adobe PDF, MS Excel, and CSV.

After digging around the web site through other means, I finally found this on AMEX website:


QBO and QFX file types are unavailable for download at the moment, but CSV and PDF are available for use.
A bit more research revealed that I am not the only one suffering. Many people actually have already talked with Intuit support and American Express support on this issue:

Suddenly unable to connect to American Express

American Express Not Downloading

Totally American Express's fault, and American Express uses the excuse of website maintenance. But come on, AMEX, given how big you are and how rich you are, why haven't you fixed the problem after at least two weeks?

Well, I guess for now I'll just have to wait for AMEX to put their acts together, because I AM NOT MANUALLY ENTERING ALL THOSE RECEIPTS MYSELF!!

If you are also suffering, I am sorry, tough luck. This is a battle that is simply out of our control. Maybe you can call or chat with AMEX to put on some pressure for the fix. But I seriously doubt how much pressure we puny consumers can give to a Giant Corp like AMEX.

Just another battle with technology. The war goes on....

[Update on August 1st]: Contacted AMEX support they said in less than 7 week, the problem should be resolved.

[Update on August 6th]: Figured out that on AMEX web site, if you switch to the Preview New Web Site, you can now download QBO transaction files. You just have to disable bank feeds for your AMEX accounts and then as you import transactions, select the right AMEX Quickbooks Accounts inside Quickbooks to re-link with AMEX, and things should be back to normal!!

BTW: The easiest way to remember my blog address is http://lanny.lannyland.com

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:26 PM

    haha I love how quicken found your blog and they are trying to solve the problem!

    ReplyDelete