Search within Lanny's blog:


Leave me comments so I know people are actually reading my blogs! Thanks!

Friday, July 05, 2019

Daily Battles, a New Category For My Blog

My dear readers, if you haven't noticed, I haven't posted any blog for a long, long time. Sorry for the long wait. The good news is that I have finally overcame myself and a lot of new blogs will soon be coming.

So why haven't I been blogging? One main reason is that life is so busy, and I have to fight many battles on different fronts everyday, which just eat away all my free time. Some of the battles are about being a responsible parent (teaching/fighting the kids), some other ones are about dealing with random life issues that just come up, such as flat tires, auto accidents, fixing various things in the home, taking care of aging parents, etc., etc. However, I have noticed that a great amount of my time are spent fighting technology glitches/failures almost on a daily bases.

On one hand, as someone who "lives in the future", I do have a lot more gadgets/devices/robots than a normal family, which does increase the likelihood that things break more often at my household. But on the other hand, I consider myself a skilled fighter in the tech realm. Even I have to struggle so much with technology today, it would be much more painful for other people who don't have my background and knowledge to deal with such technology failures. That's why I have decided to blog about these daily battles I have to fight, so other people who are fighting the same battles might be able to find something useful to facilitate their daily battles with technology.

Credit: GoComics.com

When looking at social media postings today, you probably have noticed that most people post more about their fun moments/achievements/happy time. That is a very skewed view of the reality, and psychologists have concluded that viewing such posts can increase depression and loneliness. I am going to change that! That's why I'll be posting about my struggles with my daily battles with technology and life in general. So reading my posts should make you happier, knowing that other people struggle too! And most importantly, it gives me a way to vent, so I can stay mentally healthy!

Credit: comicskingdom.com

So why am I blogging again? First of all, I am on vacation! This is a long deserved vacation, the only true vacation in the last five years!! Wife and kids are out of town for a Ping Pong tournament, and after I took care of many things/repairs/battles, I still had time to sit down, relax, and enjoy peace in my own house!!! But also, as I mentioned before, I need a way to vent; people can get info on how to fight similar battles; readers can gain happiness by looking at my sufferings; and it's just a good habit to write everyday!

Medium, as a blog platform, has gained a lot of popularity with its very clean and simple look and lots of people contributing. I actually thought about moving my blog to that platform. Then I realized that:

  1. All contents published on Medium now belongs to Medium, and
  2. After free trial, you have to pay $5/month subscription fee in order to keep reading.
So I am staying with Google Blogger, where my writing belongs to me and you can all read for free. I do like the simple and clean view of Medium though, so I tried to clean up my blog design -- one of my daily battles with technology! Well, I tried the best I could, but since my template is a super old customized one, which required a lot of html/css tweaking/hacking, and I didn't like the new templates, so this is the best I can do and what you get. But for your best viewing experience, I suggest keeping 150% zoom in. If you are using Chrome, that's CTRL+ (Command+ for Mac).

As always, leave me comments so I know people are actually reading this, which is the best encouragement for me! Subscribe if you like, and let me know if it doesn't work, and I'll add that to my daily battles list. LOL!

Oh yeah, I am translating again! Focusing on The Outcast and Smiling Proud Wanderer.

Disclaimer: I will not post about my daily battles with all the Alpha/Beta products/services my employer is currently testing in my house.

BTW: The easiest way to remember my blog address is http://lanny.lannyland.com

6 comments:

  1. Hi Lanny, enjoy your vacation! I'm a longtime follower of your Smiling Proud Wanderer translation and am very happy to hear you're working on it again. I hadn't been thinking about or following any wuxia related things for a few years, but on a whim I recently rewatched the Laughing In the Wind tv series while home with my son during his nap times (him sound asleep on me, me watching the show on low with subs on...sometimes for 5 hours at a stretch!) I was horrified to discover that several of the disks in my Knight Mediacom box set had delaminated - they are just coasters now! I managed to get some of the disks from interlibrary loan and Netflix, but the 4th box set is out of print and impossible to find. So I bought a Korean box set of the show with English subs and it turns out it is actually a better picture, and seems like the same translation!
    Anyway, point being I would never have found the show in the first place eight years ago if I hadn't read your translation, so thank you thank you for all your work translating! By the way, while looking for those replacement disks I learned about the show Nirvana In Fire, which is really excellent; there's a fan-translation of the novel it's based on, "Lang Ya Bang" online as well. Check it out if you have time & don't already know about it! I actually bought a box set of that as well but the subtitle translations seem to be inferior to the version I was watching on youtube. Anyway sorry to ramble, was just excited to see you are doing well and enjoying life and translating some more! Inspirational! Sincerely, Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow your first post in 2019, i am surprised, i thought you wont post anymore.
    please put Sword Stained with Royal Blood next in line after you finish The Outcast and Smiling Proud Wanderer. that's like a tribute to Jin Yong so that all his works available in english.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anthony, thanks for the comment. Is that the only one left untranslated? So DGSD is done?

      Delete
    2. yes DGDS was done in 2018 by multiple translators, even though it was not tidy enough, because some translator use 2nd edition novel, the other use 3rd edition , but it's okay for me , at least i can read it until finish.
      so , that's make Sword stained with royal blood the only work of Jin Yong that never been translated to english. and no one start the project yet :(

      Delete
  3. Anonymous2:31 PM

    Aww it's so nice to see you have fans! but you should translate more and I'll help you so I can earn money!

    ReplyDelete