Search within Lanny's blog:


Leave me comments so I know people are actually reading my blogs! Thanks!

Monday, August 05, 2019

Daily Battles: Google Blogger Editor Bug Removes Everything From Your Saved Draft Post

I can't believe I am blogging about a bug in Google Blogger in my daily battles blog series on Google Blogger!!

I have a blog post I saved as a draft and used as a template for all my standard formatting needs (and with images and fonts I use for things such as Tao of the Day). When I was about to start a daily battle blog post on software bugs,  I went to this draft post (I normally leave it open) so I can hit the shortcut keys ⌘+A (CTRL+A for windows) to select everything, then ⌘+C (CTRL+C for windows) to copy them, so I can go to a new post and ⌘+V (CTRL+V for windows) to paste it as a starting template.

However, by mistake, I hit ⌘+Z, instead, because the Z key is right below the A key and I've got fat fingers. Normally, ⌘+Z means undo in the computer world. However in Blogger's case, it actually deleted everything in my post draft. As I was completed puzzled, Blogger's auto save automatically kicked in and saved my draft post with nothing in it. AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

This can't be true! I just lost all my contents in my template!

But it is true! I can actually reproduce this bug every time!

You see, you can have a draft post like this:


And if you hit ⌘+Z, it turns into this:


And then that Save button on the upper right corner flashes into Saving, and wah-lah (viola in French), your draft has just been wiped clean and there's no way to undo that!!

Thanks Google!!

I know software all have bugs, and my programs have plenty of bugs in them too. But a bug that makes bloggers lose their drafts completely with no way to reverse the damage is a CRITICAL bug!

As a good netizen, I clicked that "Send feedback" button and reported the bug. But we all know that Google is famous for ignoring feedbacks for 10+ years, so I am not keeping my hope hight.

For now, all you bloggers out there, avoid using any shortcut key combos when you just get into a post draft. After you have already typed something in there, ⌘+Z will work correctly as undo and you are not risking losing all existing contents you thoughtfully put together into a draft post and just haven't post.

By the way, the same bug exists if you edit an already published post. But as long as you don't revert to draft, nothing gets saved, so at least you don't lose anything! Thanks God for that, because I actually tried it on a published blog post!!






You win some, and you lose some! But never give up your daily battles!







BTW: The easiest way to remember my blog address is http://lanny.lannyland.com

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:53 PM

    This would be so bad because, if you had a whole blog written out but forgot to publish it. Then it got deleted, it's a good thing you figured this out otherwise that would have been bad.

    ReplyDelete