Search within Lanny's blog:


Leave me comments so I know people are actually reading my blogs! Thanks!

Sunday, January 24, 2021

The Outcast -- 27 Glasses of Wine

Read all chapters by blog label: The Outcast Posts Label.

Twenty-Seven Glasses of Wine is a poem that appeared many times in Maoni's book, The Outcast. Here's the translation:

Twenty-Seven Glasses of Wine


With the 1st glass of wine, shining with the sun high in the skies.
Ivy vines outside of the window crept into my eyes.

With the 2nd glass of wine, rippling in the spring breeze.
Gently kissing my brows were the leaves from the trees.

With the 3rd glass of wine, birds chirped Mozart,
Just like love nibbling my heart.

With the 4th glass of wine, shadows climbed the windowpane.
Couldn’t remember who I am I tried in vain.

With the 5th glass of wine, the lad rises up and glides,
Over troves of trees waving like green tides.

With the 6th glass of wine, following a winding path I descend.
Will a girl be waiting at the end?

……   

With the 11th glass of wine, among the green mountains steep,
Resting by a rock the tipsy graybeard fell asleep.

With the 12th glass of wine, I looked over the cliff-brink,
Thousands of years had gone by within a blink.

With the 13th glass of wine, on top of a snail’s feeler,
The world there was as weary as the world here.

With the 14th glass of wine, the world blurred as eyelids grew heavier,
People around the bonfire were getting sleepier.

……

With the 25th glass of wine, memories of father sprang to mind,
As raindrops rolled down the window and made me blind.

With the 26th glass of wine, when busy flies finally stayed,
Like us hiding under leaves watching the autumn rain fade.

With the 27th glass of wine, let tears stream,
I set down the empty glass together with my dream.

Here's the original poem in Chinese:

二十七杯酒


第一杯酒,阳光明媚,窗外的青藤爬进了我的眼。
第二杯酒,春风轻漾,叶梢轻拂着我的眉。
第三杯酒,鸟儿鸣叫,轻啄着我的心。
第四杯酒,影上窗楣,让我忘了我是谁。
第五杯酒,少年将飞,穿越层林叠翠。
第六杯酒,石径弯弯,尽头有位姑娘。
……
十一杯酒,群山苍翠,有个老翁枕石而醉。
十二杯酒,临渊而窥,山崖还给年岁。
十三杯酒,蜗牛有角,彼世界如此世界一般疲惫。
十四杯酒,迷眼渐累,火堆旁的人们渐要沉睡。
……
二十五杯酒,想起父亲,窗外的雨点坠了下来。
二十六杯酒,乌蝇不飞,若心悸的你我躲在叶下看秋雨渐衰。
二十七杯酒,弹几点泪,轻轻放下酒杯。

Previous ChapterNext Chapter

Support translator Lanny by leaving comments below and also spreading the word about this great story!


Video of the Day:

Both my daughter and I are in this video about the ping pong club.




BTW: The easiest way to remember my blog address is http://blog.lannyland.com

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:37 AM

    When I first read the title I thought it meant you were drinking wine and that you were drunk,then I figured out it was a poem in the outcast. Also I don't see you in the video?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Won't they be drunk by then?

    ReplyDelete