Search within Lanny's blog:


Leave me comments so I know people are actually reading my blogs! Thanks!

Friday, January 08, 2021

Daily Battles: How To Download All Videos In a YouTube Playlist In Batch

The pandemic has made many work from home and kids going to online classes from home. That makes Internet bandwidth a very hot commodity.

Just to make matters worse, ISPs like Comcast/Xfinity started charging extras if you go over the data cap on your home Internet data usage. I have just recently found out that I almost breached the data cap last month.

I used to listen to music on YouTube while doing stuff. I even have this huge YouTube playlist called Lanny's List of Just Nice Songs. Guess the streaming actually used up quite some bandwidth, so family members were complaining about slow Internet speed, and Xfinity is warning me about data usage.

Anyway, so how do we resolve this problem? I decided to just download all the songs on my huge playlist to my computer as MP3 files. This way I can still listen to them (I don't really need to watch the videos that go with them), I won't be using up a lot of bandwidth to download them (since Mp3 files only), and when I listen to them, I won't be using any of the valuable family Internet bandwidth.

Then I realized that there is actually no easy way for me to download all the songs in my big playlist. I choose to not install any local programs and only go with free online tools. So eventually I figured out a solution.

There's a website called ddownr that will let you download multiple YouTube videos on a playlist in a batch. Here's how the interface looks like:


Of course, you can also download video clips from a playlist if that's your desire. For me, I only needed the music MP3s.

If you happen to have a lot of copyrighted material in the playlist, then you will have to use a different web site (linked from the ddownr website. But you can also just go straight to the web site: loader.to. One caveat is that you can only download 21 clips/MP3s in your playlist at a time. But it still beats downloading 392 songs manually one at a time. Here's how the interface looks like:


Note that occasionally the tool fails to download a song from the playlist (sometimes the video is still showing in the playlist, but when you go to it, the video is not available anymore). In this case, you can just find another copy and then use the same interface to download just one video/MP3. You can also use a different website if you just want to download one clip/Mp3: yt1s.com. But I would still recommend the loader.to tool, because it does a better job storing thumbnail and artist metadata into the Mp3 file.

In a separate blog post, I described how you can save a YouTube playlist to a text file. You can check it out if that's something you are interested in doing.

Daily Battles: How To Keep Track Of Videos in a YouTube Playlist In Case Videos Are Deleted


Hope you find this blog useful in saving your bandwidth!

Leave a comment if you find my blogs useful. You can also follow me on Twitter for more useful tips and tutorials!


Video of the Day:

SNL Pelotaunt Commercial (Parody)
There's always a trainer that suits you!



BTW: The easiest way to remember my blog address is blog.lannyland.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment