Search within Lanny's blog:


Leave me comments so I know people are actually reading my blogs! Thanks!

Saturday, January 23, 2021

The Outcast -- Teaser

Read all chapters by blog label: The Outcast Posts Label.

The Outcast is a book written by Maoni, a renowned author in China. Many of his works are well received by readers have been adapted to TV series. Out of all the books he wrote, The Outcast is undoubtedly my favorite one. In fact, I liked it so much that I named my house after one of the characters in the book. 😄

The Outcast was named first place in the 20 Top Internet Novels in the Last 20 Years by the China Writers Association (the most authoritative body of writers in China).

I have never met Maoni in person. We only communicated in writings from time to time. Maybe because we were born in the same era in China (we were referred to as the 70s generation), we share many common backgrounds and interests. That made it easier for me to pick out the many hidden gems (references) in his writing.

Maoni, Author of The Outcast
Maoni has very kindly authorized me to translate his book The Outcast to English and post them on my blog and my website. This is a Dang Long book with TOO many chapters. But it is also a Dang Good story. I dream that one day I can finish and publish this translation, so the story can compete for the Nebula Awards and the Hugo Awards. Maybe the book can even be considered for a film adaptation and one day be put on the big screens to reach even more audiences.

I am getting up at 5:30 am every day to dedicate time to my translation (of this book and also the Smiling Proud Wanderer book). In the distant past, I had translated a few chapters of the book. Now equipped with better tools and stronger dedication, I hope to go much further much longer.

I will be posting the latest translation drafts on this blog first:
Address: http://lanny.lannyland.com or http://blog.lannyland.com
Label: The Outcast

After further editing, I will also post the finished translation on my website:
Address: http://www.lannyland.com/translations.shtml

Enough said. Now check out the teaser remarks the author wrote for each volume of the book.

The Outcast

Two things fill the mind with ever-increasing wonder and awe, the sacred
moral principles within us, and the starry grandeur above our head. 

  -- Kant

Volume 1 Eastwood is All Boulders

One should have character as unyielding as a boulder, and a heart as broad as the ocean, the unattainable virtue I will always yearn for.

Volume 2 Bell Tolls at Upperwood

For whom the bell tolls? It tolls for those who heed.

Volume 3 Journey to Westwood

Our journey is not toward the ocean of stars, but to Westwood, the place of death and rebirth.

Volume 4 Stars and the Fleeting Years

Aren’t we all characters in a play where life always revolves between joy and sorrow? The world changes day by day, but the stars and memories linger…. The stars, the memories, and the fleeting years.

I hope you enjoy this story as much as I do!

Previous ChapterNext Chapter

Support translator Lanny by leaving comments below and also spreading the word about this great story!






Better late than never! 







BTW: The easiest way to remember my blog address is http://blog.lannyland.com

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:10 PM

    This is a very cool blog post, I didn't know the writer was also born in the 70's I always thought he was much older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, he gave you permission to translate his book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stumbled on your blog by accident... I'm glad this book also got translated.... many thanks <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:36 PM

    Thanks for your effort in Translating this great book

    ReplyDelete