Search within Lanny's blog:


Leave me comments so I know people are actually reading my blogs! Thanks!

Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Daily Battles: Can't Change Computer Name in macOS Field Greyed Out

I recently changed my work laptop and migrated all my stuff from the old laptop to the new one. Then I found out that there were many things that were locked up by the company IT department.

One thing that drove me nuts was that I couldn't even change my computer name because the field is greyed out and locked.

This is simply stupid!

Anyway, I finally figured out how to resolve this. However, you do need to have sodu access on your own computer, which is likely! Also your company is using jamf to manage your Mac, which is also very likely.

Solution:

Open your terminal and then run this command and replace Baymac (my computer's name) with the name you want for your computer:
sudo jamf setComputerName -name Baymac 
You can actually also try to completely remove jamf by running this command below. But don't blame me if you get fired. Good luck! 
sudo jamf removeFramework

There are always some battles I have to fight with technology every day! Hope you don't have to fight so many battles OR hope you enjoy your fights and come out triumphant!

Leave a comment if you find my blogs useful. You can also follow me on Twitter for more useful tips and tutorials!





There's always a way! 







BTW: The easiest way to remember my blog address is blog.lannyland.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment